Golden Transits on tour as Ford van hits 50
It was certainly one of the more eye catching vehicles on display at the CV Show, but there was a reason Ford’s gold Transit van beyond luring in a few interested buyers keen on a fancy paintjob.
Ford actually sent off a golden convoy of Transits celebrating 50 years of the iconic van from the CV Show, with the four vehicles – Transit Courier, Transit Connect, Transit Custom and two-tonne Transit – set to tour dealerships, events and other shows until the Transit van’s official anniversary on the weekend of 8/9 August.
Since the first vehicle left the production line in Langley, England, on August 9, 1965, almost 8 million Transit and Transit Custom models have been built, and the Transit has grown from a single model to an entire family of Transit vans.
“The Ford Transit has touched the lives of most of us,” said Mark Ovenden, Ford of Britain chairman and MD. “From house moves to moving people, the Ford Transit is an essential tool to get the job done. It has become a mobile office or workshop for some – and loved by us all.”
"Ford’s Transit family continues to lead the way in innovation,” Ovenden continued. “With 50 years of van sales leadership in the UK under its belt, the new four-van Transit range is looking forward to its next half century.”
- If lined up end-to-end, 50 years of Transits would circle the globe
- On average a new Transit has been bought every 180 seconds during its lifetime
- Demand for Ford commercial vehicles hit an all-time high in March up 43% at 16,497, compared with March 2014.
- Transit first hit the million mark sales milestone in 1976, with further millions arriving in 1985, 1994, 2000, 2005, 2010 and 2013
- Total Transit production is scheduled to top 9 million during 2015.
If you see the Golden Transits on their tour of duty, snap a picture and send it to us, or tweet us @VanAdvisor
More from the CV Show 2015